Join Vivint Solar: It’s Sunnier Here!
Vivint Solar is the brighter and more affordable way to power your home. We believe people should have a choice in how to produce the energy they use to live every day. This is why we’re making it easy for people nationwide to choose to go solar. We’re proud to be a leader in the renewable energy industry.
Vivint Solar seeks an expert to help develop and articulate solutions to challenges facing sustainable customer-owned distributed energy resources. This senior position entails both thought leadership in designing technical solutions to policy, rate and market design challenges facing the industry and effective advocacy in getting those solutions implemented via regulatory and legislative venues. This person will be instrumental in helping lead the company into the grid edge business of the future. This position reports to the Vice President of Government Affairs and will work in close collaboration with other departments, including Capital Markets and Legal.
Key Job Duties:
- Lead interventions in utility general rate cases, integrated resource plans and other proceedings to develop solar-friendly policies for customer-owned or third party rooftop solar.
- Working with counsel, prepare written expert testimony, conduct discovery, and testify orally in pursuit of outcomes that provide fair value for distributed energy resources and help grow solar markets.
- Prepare critical analysis of proposed changes to utility tariffs, net metering programs and utility revenue requirements.
- Play defense and over time increasingly offense, as necessary, to develop and preserve programs that provide fair value for customer or third-party owned distributed energy resources.
- Provide thought-leadership on regulatory policies that will remove barriers and encourage utilities to incorporate solar into their portfolios.
- Build and work with coalitions of stakeholders - solar industry leaders, trade associations, consumer advocates, energy efficiency proponents, environmental organizations - to pursue win-win strategies.
- Monitor rate filings, trade press, and other sources for developments in solar rate and/or market design and rate case issues, and to prioritize states, cases and issues for company intervention.
- A moderate degree of travel is expected.
- Successful candidate will preferably be located in Vivint Solar’s Lehi, UT headquarters
Necessary Skills and Experience:
- Candidate should have at least five years of relevant work experience in regulatory processes.
- Technical expertise in utility rate design and/or utility rate markets processes is required.
- Previous experience testifying in administrative proceedings is strongly preferred
- Strong analytic and modeling skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, for both regulatory and general audiences.
- Knowledge of power markets, operations, regulations and legal framework.
- Understanding of solar technologies, performance characteristics and market structures.
- Experience with interconnection procedures and grid operation practices.
- Willingness to take initiative, work through obstacles and drive projects forward.
- Strong organizational skills and excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills.
- Self-starter - can work independently and remotely.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team, facilitating mutually beneficial outcomes, and is able to perceive when to lead and when to build consensus.
- Applicants should have a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree or above in a related field.
Employees of Vivint Solar must submit to a criminal history check, motor vehicles check, drug screening, and obtain clearance from the state based upon the state requirements.
Vivint Solar is a proud promoter of employment opportunities to our Military and Veterans. We, an equal opportunity employer, do not consider any protected traits (e.g. race, creed, color, religion, gender, national origin, non-job-related disability, age, or any other protected trait) when hiring—under federal, state and local laws.